When it's hot out, nothing seems to satisfy my taste buds like a cold glass of lemonade.
Especially when it's homemade with quality ingredients I know and trust.
Here is a simple but delicious lemonade recipe that combines a sweetener of your choice, fresh lemon juice and the incredible flavour of lemon essential oil.
Be sure to check out the lavender or mint lemonade, limeade or orange lemonade variations below, they're just as delicious.
2 cups organic unrefined sugar or alternative (i.e. monk fruit extract, xylitol, honey or the stevia equivalent)
8 cups pure, filtered or spring water
6-7 organic lemons, enough to squeeze 1-½ cups juice
4-5 drops or more of lemon essential oil (make sure it's pure, therapeutic grade)
1. Heat sugar and 2 cups of the water in a pot, stirring frequently, until sugar is completely dissolved. If you're using honey, be sure not to let the mixture come to a boil. Set aside and allow to cool.
2. Squeeze lemons to extract juice. Remove seeds but leave pulp if desired. One average sized lemon yields about 1/4 cup juice.
3. Combine sugar water mixture, fresh lemon juice, and lemon essential oil in a large pitcher and stir thoroughly.
4. Taste your creation. If needed add more water if it's too potent or add more lemon essential oil if you need some extra lemon zing.
5. Serve chilled or over ice, garnished with lemon slices if desired, and enjoy!
1. Instead of lemon essential oil, try 3-4 drops lavender essential oil or 1-3 drops of peppermint essential oil. Always start with less, stir thoroughly and taste. Add more oil, one drop at a time until it's perfect! Serve garnished with mint leaves or a sprig of culinary lavender.
2. Limeade: You can also try squeezing 1 cup of fresh lemon juice and ½ cup fresh lime juice. Then add 3 drops of lemon and 1-2 drops of lime essential oils. Stir and taste. Add more lemon or lime essential oils, one drop at a time until its perfect! Serve chilled with lemon or lime slices
3. Orange lemonade: Squeeze 1 cup fresh lemon juice and ½ cup fresh orange juice. Then add 3 drops each of lemon and orange essential oils, stir, taste and add more drops, as needed, until its perfect. Serve chilled with lemon and/or orange slices.
Which lemonade recipe is your favourite? I'd love to get your feedback. Just leave a comment below!
P.S. To find out more about the importance of using pure therapeutic grade essential oils (and how to tell they're actually pure), click here.
PPS: Follow me on Instagram for more recipes, health tips and lots of love.